Your smile is often the first thing people notice about you. It can play a significant role in your career, your relationships, and your self-confidence. If you have chipped, broken, or missing teeth, you may feel self-conscious when you speak or smile. At Green Dentistry, we offer porcelain dental crowns and bridges to help you look and feel your best as quickly as possible.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Often called a “cap,” a dental crown is a dental prosthetic designed to cover or replace a tooth that has been damaged. A tooth crown may be attached to a natural tooth or dental implant hardware and is cemented in, meaning the crown is fixed and cannot be moved after placement.
A porcelain crown can restore the shape, size, and surface of a tooth that has been cracked, chipped, or otherwise damaged. Not only does this improve your appearance, but it can also strengthen your tooth and prevent further damage.
~ Danika P.
CEREC Same Day Crowns
Dental Crowns in Minutes
In the past, crowns were made in dental laboratories and took about 2 or 3 weeks to finish. While waiting, you’d wear an inconvenient temporary crown. When your crown was ready, you’d go back to the dentist to have it placed.
Today, using 3D imaging technology and the CEREC system, Dr. Patel can create and install a beautiful, durable biocompatible porcelain dental crown in just minutes!
About the CEREC Crown System
CEREC is a revolutionary dental technology. In just minutes it can create truly custom-made, natural-looking, and long-lasting crowns, veneers, onlays and other tooth restorations. Ask Dr. Patel to tell you more about the CEREC system, including:
- Why CEREC single visit crowns are a better choice than traditional crowns
- Why CEREC is the best choice for most people
- Why CEREC is the most eco-conscious and healthiest choice you can make for your mouth
“Dr. Patel and her staff are always so welcoming and extremely professional.”
Benefits of Tooth Crowns
There are many benefits to getting a dental crown, including but not limited to:
- Protection of a broken or damaged tooth by giving it the support it needs to keep the root and underlying bone tissue healthy
- Protection of a tooth following a root canal procedure
- Improved dental aesthetics and increased self-confidence after covering a visibly cracked, chipped, or broken tooth
- Addition of support to worn-down teeth and protection from nerve exposure
Dental crowns are also long-lasting, natural-looking, and have highly successful outcomes. Tooth crown procedures are extremely safe and have a high rate of patient satisfaction.
Why Are Tooth Crowns Needed?
A dental crown serves a wide variety of purposes . They are used to:
- Protect weak teeth. If a tooth has a fracture but has not yet separated, a crown can cover the crack and protect the tooth from more damage.
- Covering broken or misshapen teeth. A crown is an easy way to cap a broken or misshaped tooth for instant smile improvement.
- To support a dental bridge. Crowns are used to anchor a dental bridge to two healthy adjacent teeth.
- To replace a lost tooth. A crown can be placed over a dental implant to permanently replace a missing tooth.
A dental bridge is a prosthetic created to replace a missing tooth between two healthy, natural teeth without the need for a dental implant. A “pontic,” or prosthetic tooth, is anchored to two crowns that are placed on the adjacent healthy teeth and cemented in using special dental cement.
The pontic “floats” above the gums, held in place by the crowns on either side of it. Typically, a bridge is created from resin or porcelain that has been tinted to match the color of the patient’s natural teeth. In most cases, bridges are used for back teeth, but in some cases may be used in the front when other options like implants or veneers are not recommended.
Dental Crowns and Bridges FAQ
No! Using the CEREC system, we can create your finished crown in just minutes. You won’t have to wait for another appointment and we won’t have to bother with a goopy, sticky mold to make a temporary crown. Instead, we’ll use a high-tech 3D imaging system to take a picture of your mouth and a computer program will be used to turn a block of biocompatible ceramic resin into your finished crown. The results are incredible!
Same-day dental crowns using the CEREC system are made from ceramic and are durable, strong, and long-lasting. Porcelain, resin, and other crown materials can be used with a traditional crown creation process.
Dental crowns can be made of a variety of materials, including ceramic, porcelain, and resin. Rarely, metals such as gold, silver, or stainless steel are used.
The cost of your dental crown varies based on location in the mouth, material used to create the crown, and whether you choose a traditional crown or CEREC same-day crown.
Avoid biting down on hard foods like hard candy and ice. You should also avoid very chewy or sticky foods that will stick to the material of the crown, like caramel or chewing gum. This can crack or break the porcelain or resin crown. Brush and floss your teeth as directed and visit your dentist annually to check the integrity of the crown.
You’ll love the Green Dentistry experience!
We believe in…
- Functional, beautiful, and long-lasting teeth
- The importance of listening to you and your concerns
- Taking the time to understand your unique needs, goals, and lifestyle
- Providing comfortable care that will truly improve your health and transform your smile
Call (415) 433-0119 or schedule online.
Why a Holistic, Green Approach to Dental Care is Smart.
In her book, Dr. Nammy discusses dentistry that’s effective yet conscious of using safe, non-toxic chemicals and compounds. She explains how some widespread materials commonly used in dental care, including certain metals, composites, and amalgams, can be deleterious to health.
ForbesBooks Author Nammy Patel, DDS has been practicing holistic dental care since she founded her San Francisco practice, Green Dentistry, in 2005
Dr. Patel’s life-changing books and articles have been published in 57 countries and 67 languages, inspiring more than 52 million readers to be healthier and greener.
New Patient? We’ll Plant a Tree In Your Honor
We believe in “green dentistry with a green thumb.” Let’s work together to help improve the environment and fight climate change.
Every year, your tree will:
- Produce 260 lbs of fresh oxygen
- Remove 25+ lbs of carbon from the atmosphere
- Provide shade and habitat for birds, squirrels, and other animals