An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
It’s a cliche for a reason – there’s a lot of truth in it, especially when talking about your dental health, tooth decay, and gum disease. At Green Dentistry, we believe in helping our patients prevent dental health problems before they start. In today’s blog post, we’ll talk about 8 of the best ways you can take control of your dental health and overall wellness and stop tooth decay, gum disease, and dental health problems before they start.
Invest In an Electric Toothbrush
Don’t worry too much about which model to buy. Oscillating electric toothbrushes with replaceable heads from brands like Sonicare or Oral B are both great choices.
Tips For Using an Electric Toothbrush
- Don’t press too hard! Try holding the brush gently between two fingers.
- Replace the heads! When your brush head wears out, replace it! If it looks frizzly or discolored, replace it!
- Keep it clean! Rinse your brush head in mouthwash or under the faucet to keep bacteria from building up on the brush itself.
- Ask Your Dentist & Hygienist! If you have questions about buying or using an electric toothbrush, ask us! We’re happy to tell you everything you need to know to keep your teeth and gums happy and healthy.
At your biannual dental cleanings, ask your hygienist and dentist for feedback on your flossing technique. If you’re not sure how to floss properly, ask for help!
Choose Foods & Beverages Thoughtfully
While genetics and the bacteria found in your mouth can affect your dental health, the truth is that you have more control over tooth decay than you may think. In addition to brushing and flossing, you must choose foods and beverages carefully.
Avoid Foods & Drinks That Are:
- Sugary – Any food high in sugar (even fruit juices!) is bad for your teeth and gums
- Acidic – Soda and coffee drinks are highly acidic and can cause demineralization and tooth decay
- Sticky – Raisins may seem like a “healthy” choice but they are very sugary and sticky. This is a bad combo when it comes to your dental health!
Choose Foods & Drinks Like:
- Leafy Greens
- High-Fiber Fruits and Veggies
- Nuts like Almonds and Legumes
- Unsweetened coffee and tea
Instead of brushing, try gently rinsing your mouth with fresh water to remove residual acid and bits of food in your teeth. You can even use (alcohol-free) mouthwash to freshen your breath. Mouthwashes with alcohol may contribute to dry mouth and gum disease. Mouthwashes with alcohol can actually cause or worsen the symptoms of dry mouth.
Make Health a Priority In Your Life
Your dentist can not only help you avoid these health problems but can also help identify the early stages of oral cancers and other issues through non-invasive preventive screenings during your dental exams.
Work With A Dentist You Trust
At Green Dentistry you’ll love our approach to your comfort, happiness, and quality of care. We take pride in providing the best dental experience in San Francisco. When you work with Dr. Patel and the team at Green Dentistry, you’ll love our:
- Gentle touch
- Emphasis on your comfort
- Holistic approach
- Dedication to long-lasting, functional, and beautiful dental treatments
At every appointment, you’ll feel empowered as you play an active role in your dental care.
Take a Proactive Approach to Treatment
Schedule regular dental checkups and appointments with your doctor. In nearly every case, prevention is much, much easier than treatment. And when issues like cavities are caught early, there are more treatment options and the treatment will be less-invasive.
Listen To Your Body
- Headaches when waking up
- Poor sleep
- Red, bleeding, swollen, or irritated gums
- Pain when biting or chewing
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Chronic bad breath
No matter how minor, each of these symptoms may lead to serious consequences for your health!
Schedule Your Appointment at Green Dentistry Today
If you’re interested in improving your dental and whole body health, are looking to prevent tooth decay, and want to look and feel your very best, Green Dentistry is here to help you! Our experienced team is committed to your comfort, happiness, health, and wellness. You’ll love our unique and high-tech approach to dentistry.
Call us at (415) 433-0119 to schedule your first appointment. We’re always accepting new patients and we can’t wait to meet you!